Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Manager
As the manager of Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) activities, you will lead the development and maintenance of an infection-control program in a given Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) field project. The goals include striving for good quality of care and the safety of patients, caretakers and staff. In accordance with MSF protocols and standards, the IPC manager will participate in the definition of the project’s IPC objectives.
As a manager of infection prevention and control (IPC) activities with Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), you will lead the development and maintenance of an infection-control program in an MSF project. Your objectives include striving for good quality of care and the safety of patients, caretakers and staff. In accordance with MSF protocols and standards, the IPC manager will participate in the definition of the project’s IPC objectives You will ensure the implementation of standard transmission-based IPC precautions for all departments of MSF’s health structures.
Your work is done in collaboration with each service activity manager, using existing tools (guidelines, checklists, audit forms and training). You will provide technical IPC supervision and guidance to all staff members, with a particular focus on activities such as: water supply, solid waste and waste water treatment and disposal, latrines and shower facilities, vector control and medical-waste management. You will also develop multimodal strategies to improve IPC in MSF’s facilities. Examples may include initiating system change. organizing training, conducting performance monitoring, and giving feedback to promote a stepwise IPC improvement approach, working with communities and tailored to the local context.
- Diploma or certificate in IPC
- Nursing, medical or epidemiology background
- Minimum of two years of professional IPC experience in hospital settings
- Experience in managing staff in a multicultural team (supervision and training)
- Excellent command of English, as well as French (level B2) or another language (Arabic, Spanish). Refer to this evaluation grid
- Relevant travel or work experience in contexts similar to where MSF works (armed conflicts, disasters, public health emergencies or situations of healthcare exclusion)
- Available to work six to 12 months
- Experience or diploma in tropical medicine
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Excel)
MSF Core Competencies
- Behaviour flexibility: Level 2
- Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Teamwork and cooperation: Level 2
- Shares information and coordinates with team and others
- Result and quality orientation: Level 2
- Works towards objectives, preserving established standards
- Commitment to MSF principles: Level 1
- Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts MSF’s principles
- People management: Level 2
- Gives feedback and sets limits
- Cross-cultural awareness: Level 3
- Demonstrates an integrating attitude
- Stress management: Level 2
- Manages own stress
- Understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI): Level 1
- Familiarity with EDI concepts and their application in a humanitarian context
Familiarity with EDI concepts and their application in a humanitarian context
To find out more about MSF core competencies, please look here.
You can find a comprehensive view of MSF career paths here.
Before you apply
As you consider applying to undertake an MSF assignment, it is essential that you have a well-informed and realistic personal reflection. Assignments often mean long hours with a heavy workload, basic living conditions, and working and living in often chaotic and volatile environments.
Security and Safety
Because Doctors Without Borders’ purpose is to bring medical assistance to people in distress, the work may occur in settings of active conflict, or in post-conflict environments, in which there are inherent risks, potential danger and ongoing threats to safety and security. MSF acknowledges that it is impossible to exclude all risks, but it does its utmost as an organization to mitigate and manage these risks through strict and comprehensive security protocols.
Please watch this video for information on how MSF manages security.
International staff will be fully informed of the risk associated with a potential assignment before accepting a particular posting. Working for MSF is a deeply personal choice; individuals must determine for themselves the level of risk and the circumstances in which they feel comfortable, based on a full and transparent understanding of the possibilities they may face. Once in the assignment, all MSF staff must strictly observe security rules and regulations; failure to do so may result in dismissal.
Terms of Employment
MSF staff are employees with a salary and benefits. See more information on the terms of employment.
MSF favours at least 2 years of active commitment during which time international staff complete 2 to 4 assignments. There are many possibilities for professional growth within the organization, into the medical, non-medical and coordination streams. For more information on learning and development as well as career opportunities with MSF, see our FAQ.
To learn more about how MSF supports IMGs with EPIC service, free of cost, click here.
As you consider applying to undertake an MSF assignment, is it essential that you have a well-informed and realistic personal reflection. Assignments often mean long hours with a heavy workload, basic living conditions, and working and living in often chaotic and volatile environments.
Despite such challenges, thousands of people have worked with MSF over the years and found their experiences in the field to be deeply rewarding, even life-changing. More than anything else, being an MSF international worker means acting in solidarity with people facing unimaginable medical challenges. Your presence alongside people in times of need sends a profoundly meaningful and human message: “You are not forgotten.”
The number openings for this role are very low at the moment.
STEP 1 - REQUIREMENTS CHECK
Answer all our requirement questions below: